I am happy to announce that the results are in for the 2012 Flash Games Market Survey!
This is the 4th year we have conducted the Flash Games Market Survey. This year we partnered with Adobe and FGL.com once again, giving us a very broad reach. Each year, we poll members from the Flash game developer and publisher community to “take the pulse” of our industry. This survey provides key insights to Mochi Media and our survey partners, and has a direct influence on Mochi Media’s annual conference FGS, sponsored once again this year by Adobe and FGL.com.
One of the key trends we are seeing evolve with this survey is that Flash game developers are not “just” Flash game developers. Developers in our community today believe that the best way to maximize their opportunities is to make games for as many platforms as possible, which recently has become more of a reality due to lower barriers and improved technologies. As such, this survey is starting to represent indie game developers, as the developer respondents are no longer game developers who only make games using Flash.
In fact, it appears as though the old labels of “Flash game developer” and “mobile game developer” are going away, and are being replaced simply with “game developer”.
- Online game development continues to be international phenomenon
- Developers embracing dual platforms: first online, then mobile
- 86% of Flash game developers are expanding into mobile
- 55% of Flash game developers making games for mobile devices today
- Adobe AIR sees higher adoption, #1 path to mobile
- Developers target iOS and Android markets equally
- Marketing is biggest pain-point for mobile game development
- Mobile marketing strategy: 80% ?release and hope for the best?
- App sales and ads top current mobile monetization methods
- Over 71% of developers are interested in creating 3D games
Full survey results